Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Story: The Interview

The Interview
by Tcheser

Katherine was just signing a new NDA, a requirement for the continuation of her contract as Director of Personnel when she looked up and saw someone sitting across from her. She hadn’t heard him come and didn’t recall any appointments scheduled for this time of day. From the look of him, boyish face, cheap suit, he must be a new applicant. She was just about to tell him to schedule a meeting with her next week when he suddenly spoke and not so much his words, but his tone, caused her to forget what she was doing.

“Excuse me,” she said trying to gather her thoughts, “What was that you just said?”

“I asked if you were ready for the interview?” The young man said with a slight smile before adding, “Please don’t be nervous.”

“Nervous? Why should I be nervous?” Katherine replied with genuine confusion, she had conducted perhaps hundreds of interviews, they were nothing knew to her. More to the point, who did this snot nosed college boy think he was telling her not be nervous? She would give him the interview of his life and show him who was in charge here.

“Regardless, shall we begin?” she said, “Do you have a CV?”

“You have it before you,” the man replied motioning toward a paper sitting right in front of Katherine who could have sworn it hadn’t been there a moment ago. Wasn’t she signing something?

“Oh… yes, so it is,” Katherine shrugged and picked up the paper for a quick perusal. Immediately she saw something wrong. Name: Katherine Waters. That was her name. “Wait, what is this… what is going on here…”

“You were about to hand me your CV, Miss Waters, “ the man told her and with a disapproving shake of his head he snatched it from her suddenly limp hands.

“But I don’t understand… my CV… why would I give you my CV… am I not conducting this interview?” She asked suddenly concerned that she was in the wrong meeting.

“Well that’s a strange way to phrase it. You may well consider yourself conducting the interview if you like, it is something of a mutual exchange of information, but this is the first time I have heard a perspective employee framing it in that manner.” the man allowed as he slipped on a pair of glasses and sat back in his plush office chair to give her CV a thorough perusal.

Katherine couldn’t help but be envious. The hard plastic chair she sat in was no where as comfy as the chair the man sat in. Strange that she was sitting on it and he there behind the desk, shouldn't it be the other way around? The man’s answer to her question also troubled Katherine. If what he said was correct, that would mean… “Wait,” she interrupted him, “Do you believe you are interviewing me?”

The man just looked at her for a moment somewhat amused before replying, “Yes, of course, I am the Director of Personnel, and I run a tight ship, even if you have been interviewed by your possible supervisor, I still need to sign off on it before any job offer is formally made.”

“But…but I thought I was Director of Personnel?” Katherine all but whined she was so confused.

“If you were Director of Personnel than I would hardly be interviewing you now would I?” the man replied with a chuckle. “And I imagine your name would be here?” he said pointing to the brass name plate on the desk which indeed did not bare her name.

What was going on she wondered. Why did she feel so spacey and how could she have thought she was Director of Personnel when clearly that was not the case. Which begged the question, if she wasn’t the Director of Personnel , who was--

“Well Katie, this is a bit light I’m afraid,” The man announced derailing her train of thought. He then motioned back to her CV, “Not much on here besides school and a few odd jobs, not quite up to the level we expect for our junior executive.”

“Junior executive? That can’t be right,” she mumbled as she rubbed her temples trying to clear her mind. There seemed to be so many things wrong with what was going on. So many inconsistencies. It kept her from seeing-

“Right, I’m afraid even junior executive in training is out of the question.” The man thought out loud. “Possibly we could use you as an administrative assistant.”

“Administrative assistant! I couldn’t possibly work as an administrative assistant,” Katie all but cried, “After all my study and schooling? It would just be wasted.”

The man looked sympathetic. “Don’t worry, your studying won’t be wasted, you can start part time and only work after school. We’ll make sure you graduate.”

“Graduate? What do you mean, I graduated years ago…” Katie began but trailed off when she turned and saw her reflection in a wall mirror. Was that her? That cute young woman who looked like she had just come from school in her plaid jumper and matching tie? Hadn’t she been wearing a business suit and heels or was that just her mind playing tricks? Why would a schoolgirl be wearing a business suit? This man seemed to know what he was talking about though. He wasn’t a confused schoolgirl like her. She would accept whatever he said, that was less confusing.

“I’m sorry, sir,” Katie said shyly, fully aware of how silly she must appear to a mature businessman like him. “I would be happy to accept any position your company can offer me.”

“Glad to hear it, I’m sure you will make an excellent part time probationary administrative assistant,” the man smiled and stood extended his hand for a shake.

Jumping up Katie took his hand and shook it as genuinely as she could manage, while trying her best not to twirl one of her braids with the other or polish the back of her knee sock clad calf with one of the saddle shoes she wore, as she often did when she was nervous. Still looking into his amazing blue eyes she couldn’t help but blush and feel her innocent cotton panties grow a little moist. She was glad for not the first time that she always kept a spare pair in her backpack.

Walking her to the door, the man showed her out saying, “I believe you are destined for great things Katie. I look forward to seeing you around the office.”

To this Katie could only blush again and say, “Thank you, sir,” before shyly walking to the elevator where she stooped to fix a traitorous sock that had fallen halfway down. The man watched for a moment before smiling and heading back to his new office.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Captions come Very, Very, Very Late .

Anonymous said...

Pls don't mind me for my old post.

Anonymous said...

Pls write more Captions. I love many of them.

Tcheser said...

I have more recent captions on deviant art. https://www.deviantart.com/tcheser

Bailey Margot said...

wow pleasant surprise to see a new story. This is great!

Anonymous said...

Wonderfull story, i love how Katherine become more and more younger and shy. I am sure it teached her a important lesson,to never be hauhhty again.

I would love to see this story adapted in a movie,i think for Katherine Emma Stone would be perfect choice no?